What is Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) visa – subclass 191?
The Subclass 191 Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) Visa offers a pathway to permanent residency in Australia for eligible visa holders who have resided in a designated regional area for a minimum of 3 years and have met the prescribed income threshold. This visa extends the opportunity of permanent residency to eligible family members as well. Notably, sponsorship or nomination is not required for this visa application.
Visa 191 Benefits
With this visa, you can:
- work and study anywhere in Australia
- sponsor eligible family members for permanent residence
- if eligible, become an Australian citizen.
Visa applicant to be eligible, they must:
- Hold a qualifying visa for a minimum of 3 years prior to the visa application, as outlined below:
- Subclass 491 Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa; or
- Subclass 494 Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa
- Comply with the conditions of the qualifying visa while in Australia, including any family members who hold the same qualifying visa as dependents.
- Reside in a designated regional area for a minimum of 3 years on a qualifying visa, as specified above.
- Earn an Australian taxable income of at least the income threshold specified for a continuous period of at least three years while holding your qualifying visa.
- Demonstrate functional English proficiency or pay the second visa application charge.
Meet the relevant health and character criteria, including any family members who hold the same qualifying visa as dependents.
The income threshold has not yet been announced; however, it is expected to be at least AUD53,900 per taxable income year. It’s important to note that COVID-19 event income concessions have not been announced for this specific visa pathway.
Visa 494 streams
This visa allows people who have lived and worked in designated regional areas of Australia on an eligible visa, live and work in Australia permanently. Applicants must have complied with the conditions of their eligible visa.
If you have a child who was born in Australia since you were granted your current visa you must tell us about your child before you lodge this application. Find out what to do if your child is born after we granted your current visa. If we have not linked your child’s current visa to their passport you will be unable to lodge their application online.
This visa lets eligible Hong Kong or British National (Overseas) passport holders who have demonstrated commitment to Australia, live and work in Australia permanently.